Interior Designer Programs Description
The responsibility of an interior designer is to create indoor spaces that are functional, safe, and aesthetically pleasing by working with lighting, furniture, and other decorative materials, and coordinating with other professionals, such as contractors, architects, engineers, and plumbers to bring a design plan together. Interior designers will be responsible for consulting with clients, providing design concept proofs, coordinating project work with contractors and suppliers as needed, working with feedback, and ensuring the final design work is delivered as expected.
- Passion for decorating, creativity, ingenuity, and a good understanding of colour and design principles are key for a career as an interior designer.
- An ability to visualize design plans and interior layouts from a basic sketch or blueprint is valuable.
- A detail-oriented perspective is important for this position as design and decor often requires managing minute details and fixing small imperfections that might go unnoticed by others.
- Ability to read blueprints and familiarity with viewing and editing digital plans on design software is a key skill. Interior designers must understand building layout plans to be able to accommodate their designs to fit the room specifications, electrical outlets, plumbing hookups, and other physical limitations.
- Good interpersonal skills are an asset for this position as interior designers are often required to work closely with clients, colleagues and contractors through project planning and design execution.
Interior Designer Salary
An average salary is 27K per year in Canada. A more experienced interior designer may make up to 82K.
Interior Designer Hours
Full time positions are common for large architectural design organizations that require a significant amount of interior design work. Some interior designers work as consultants and take contract projects.
Interior Designer Training Courses
There are a wide variety of interior design degree, diploma and certificate programs offered in classrooms across Canada and many available online. The creation of a design work portfolio would be valuable for interior designers seeking employment or contract project work. A portfolio is an essential tool to share previous work samples and demonstrate proficiency in design. It is recommended that students begin compiling a portfolio early in their studies and continue to build upon their portfolio as their skills progress.
Useful Information About Being a Interior Designer
Sketchup is an industry standard 3D modeling software that offers a free version for personal and educational use: https://www.sketchup.com/. Autocad 3DS Max is an industry standard 3D modeling and rendering software for design visualization. A free trial is available and free software is available for educational use as well: https://www.autodesk.ca/en/products/3ds-max/overview