Medical Office Administrator Programs Description
This position has an important administrative and coordinating role within a medical clinic, hospital, laboratory, or physician’s office. Medical office assistants transcribe documents, enter data into patient management software, and code procedures and diagnoses. They may also be required to conduct minor medical procedures such as measuring a patient’s height and weight. Responsibilities include front office tasks such as answering phones, greeting patients, scheduling appointments, and organizing documents. There are a variety of areas where a medical office assistant may develop their career and specialize in a particular type of clinic administration, such as a dentist's office.
- Time management is important for this role as a busy clinic may have a high volume of patients that require assistance and document preparation in a short time period.
- Good written and verbal communication skills are needed for this position as a medical office assistant will need to interact efficiently with patients, nurses, doctors and other medical professionals.
- Computer skills and excellent organization are important for this role.
- Medical office assistants must be able to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately and act in an ethical manner.
- Attention to detail and the ability to follow specific procedures is also important for this role.
Medical Office Administrator Salary
An average starting salary is $21K per year in Canada. A more experienced medical office assistant may make up to $48K.
Medical Office Administrator Hours
Full time and part time positions can be found for this role.
Medical Office Administrator Training Courses
There a variety of certificate and diploma programs available to receive training to become a medical lab technician. Training will include studying medical terminology, human anatomy and medical office software.
Useful Information About Being a Medical Office Administrator
Essential skill profile for medical office administrator (1243): https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/essentialskillsresults/58