Immigration Consultant Programs Description
Immigration consultants are responsible for providing support and legal advice to clients who wish to come to Canada for work, study, travel, business, or to immigrate and acquire citizenship. In this role, knowledge of immigration laws is used to help clients avoid legal issues when relocating, and assist with acquiring all necessary documentation. In Canada, immigration consultants are regulated by a national council; the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC).
- Immigration consultants are required to interpret and apply ICCRC policies, codes of ethics, and privacy legislation. Maintaining a thorough knowledge of immigration and refugee laws in Canada is critical for this role.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are needed for this position as an immigration consultant will have frequent contact with clients in what can be a stressful and busy time in their lives.
- Immigration consultants must be able to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately.
- Attention to detail, excellent organization, and the ability to accurately and carefully review documentation are key for this role.
- Good computer skills, time management, punctuality and respectfulness are also valuable for this position.
- A second language would be an asset in this position.
Immigration Consultant Salary
An average salary is 39K per year in Canada. A more experienced immigration consultant may make up to 66K.
Immigration Consultant Hours
Full time positions are common for this role.
Immigration Consultant Training Courses
Immigration consultants are required to pass the Full Skills Exam which is provided by the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). ICCRC accredited certificate and diploma programs are available across Canada to prepare for the exam and a career as an immigration consultant.
Useful Information About Being a Immigration Consultant
The Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC): https://iccrc-crcic.ca/|List of accredited Immigration Partner Programs: https://iccrc-crcic.ca/education/ipp-accreditation/accredited-ipps/|Essential skill profile for immigration consultant (1228): https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/essentialskillsresults/309